Or Happy Birthday to my big brother! I promise to get a card in the mail later today. I wanted to share a favorite recipe with you all out there in blogland. Shelley and my friend KLM got together and made some salsa the other day. We were only missing the margaritas. Go make some for dinner tonight and celebrate the 5th of May.
You will need 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, 1 large sweet onion, 2 or 3 med. tomatillos, 3 or 4 jalapeno's, 1 to 2 bunches of cilantro, 2 24oz cans of whole tomato, 1 can tomato paste, red wine vinegar and salt.
***NOTE*** We made a very large batch. The ingredients I listed above are for a single batch.
Peel garlic cloves
Quarter sweet onion and place in food processor.
Cut jalapeno's. Take seeds out but leave the veins. Blend together until it is the consistency you want.
Tomatillos can be found near the jalapeno's in the produce section. Tomatillos have a paper shell around them. Make sure you peel the paper back and make sure the tomatillos are not moldy.
Cut center out of tomatillos and place in food processor.
Wooohhooo look at that pretty green.
Shelley is opening a can of tomato paste. The trick here is to open both ends
then you can just push the paste thru the can into the food processor.
Add the whole tomatoes and puree.
Add tomato mixture to the onion, jalapeno, tomatillos mixture. KLM suggest to use a plastic bowl as a metal bowl messes with the acidity of the salsa. I'll do what she says because I love this stuff.
Isn't that pretty? I wish you could smell it.
Wash the cilantro and place in the food processor and add a little of the mixture from above and press pulse until it looks like
Add to the plastic bowl and add some salt. Where are the chips?
Add red wine vinegar to taste.
Recipe from KLM
2 24oz cans peeled WHOLE tomatoes
1 large sweet onion
1 6oz can tomato paste
3-4 cloves garlic - to taste
2 average size bunches cilantro (but this is the one ingredient you want to have more of to control the heat)
5-6 average sized fresh tomatillos
3-4 Jalapeno's seeded but not deveined (again, to taste)
2-3 T. Red Wine Vinegar
salt - to taste, but this sort of helps bind all the flavors
LOTS OF TORTILLA CHIPS!!!!

3 comments:
I LOVE chips & salsa. I'm going to have to try this - I've never made my own salsa before.
And now my secret recipe is out....sigh....Hope you're enjoying your salsa! Happy Cinco and happy b-day to your bro!
KLM
My two older kids just loved this stuff, and of course I did too! My jar is empty. :(
Post a Comment